Frequently Asked Questions
- 01. Can I get on a commercial aircraft carrying my Leatherman tool?
- 02. Where does the Leatherman name come from?
- 03. Why should I buy a Leatherman tool?
- 04. How does the Leatherman warranty work?
- 05. I can't live without my Leatherman for even a day. Can you just send me the parts I need?
- 06. I'm from outside North America and I want to buy a Leatherman tool. Do you sell tools outside the United States?
- 07. Can I have a different blade installed in my Leatherman tool?
- 08. Is Leatherman interested in my idea for a new product or feature?
- 09. I've had my Leatherman for a very long time and the belt sheath is just about worn out. How can I get a replacement?
- 10. Can I buy stock in Leatherman Tool Group, Inc.?
- 11. All the blades on one handle of my Super Tool have been accidentally locked open. How can I get them unlocked?
- 12. Can you send me a Leatherman bumper sticker?
01. Can I get on a commercial aircraft carrying my Leatherman tool?
While many Leatherman Multi-Tools (including wearables such as the Tread) are approved as flight/travel friendly products by the TSA in the United States, Australian flight services do not operate under the same TSA guidelines. Airport staff and agents have full discretion over allowable items for the safety of all passengers and this may vary from flight to flight. For all domestic and international flight services that are departing from or arriving in Australia, we suggest that you check your Leatherman products in to your checked baggage and do not carry them on your person or in your carry-on luggage. Also note that Leatherman Tool Group Australia does not replace or warranty tools that are lost, stolen, or confiscated.
02. Where does the Leatherman name come from?
Our tools bear the name of company president Tim Leatherman, who invented the original Pocket Survival Tool, now known as the PST.
03. Why should I buy a Leatherman tool?
Tim Leatherman's standards for quality, durability, precision and attention to detail are what make Leatherman tools like no other. Ever since Tim invented the category, we've focused on just one thing - manufacturing the world's highest quality multipurpose tools.
04. How does the Leatherman warranty work?
Our warranty is simple. You broke it, we'll fix it. No questions, no hassles, no wasting your time. Just go to the Warranty page and print/fill out the form provided there, put it and your tool (NO SHEATH PLEASE) in the mail to us and we'll fix/replace your tool and send it back to you for free. If you are from outside the US/Canada, please go to this same place on the website and select the country you live in and send your tool to that country's distributor. They act as the warranty agent for Leatherman in that country. You can also find warranty information on the Leatherman Mobile Site, "Warranty" button, but the form cannot be downloaded from there.
05. I can't live without my Leatherman for even a day. Can you just send me the parts I need?
Our products are designed to be disassembled by factory-trained technicians only. Repaired tools are reassembled (and the pivot posts cemented) to ensure proper tension for optimum tool performance. Attempting to disassemble a Leatherman tool yourself may result in lost components and compromised tool functionality. It may also void your warranty protection.
06. I'm from outside Australia and I want to buy a Leatherman tool. Do you sell tools outside the Australia?
Our products are sold in approximately 90 countries around the world. Please refer to the Dealer Locator page at www.leatherman.com/store or the "Find a Store" link on the Leatherman Mobile Site to locate our authorized distributors. These distributors can help you find retailers in your area and/or help you with a warranty issue.
07. Can I have a different blade installed in my Leatherman tool?
08. Is Leatherman interested in my idea for a new product or feature?
Always. Consumer feedback has played a significant role in improving our existing products and designing new ones. Our marketing department tracks suggestions and welcomes your feedback, so feel free to address your ideas to them (either in writing or at email@example.com). If you wish to submit an idea for which you already have or may obtain a patent or other ownership rights, please write to the Office of the President, Leatherman Tool Group, PO Box 20595, Portland OR 97294. Prior to receiving or considering your idea, we will present you with a disclosure agreement that describes your rights and ours in any idea you disclose to us.
09. I've had my Leatherman for a very long time and the belt sheath is just about worn out. How can I get a replacement?
There are several sheaths to choose from. All are pictured on our Accessories page at www.leatherman.com.au/accessories. Please visit that section for information on how to order sheaths and other Leatherman.
10. Can I buy stock in Leatherman Tool Group, Inc.?
Sorry. Leatherman Tool Group is privately held and is very unlikely to go public in the foreseeable future.
11. All the blades on one handle of my Super Tool have been accidentally locked open. How can I get them unlocked?
Use a separate screwdriver or similar device to unlock the blades. With the handles closed together, insert the screwdriver into the slot created by the handle spring (where the handle locks onto the multi-tool blades). Gently pry up the handle spring until one of the blades can be released.
12. Can you send me a Leatherman bumper sticker?
Yes, we can! Please send your mailing address to firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll drop those in the mail to you.